Mentors of Color is working to build mentoring relationships, as well as a community, with a cohort of ten black male students from Ivy Tech Community College in Indiana. The cohort will start early to mid November 2020 and last until the end of the 2020-2021 school year. Students will have access to:
- The Mentors of Color slack channel to connect with mentors and mentees from around the US.
- The mentoring network to connect with mentors and build relationships.
- A bi-weekly cohort meeting which will enable students to openly discuss challenges, hopes, wins, as well as tips with other members of the cohort, the cohort facilitator, and other mentors and members of Mentors of Color.
- Individual monthly meetings with the cohort facilitator designed to ensure each student is connecting with mentors and is getting access to what they need.
During the school year the Cohort Facilitator will work actively with the students in order to ensure all students are engaged in the mentoring process.
Some of the challenges students face are:
- Transitioning into a professional career or continuing further into higher education
- Imposter Syndrome
- Thriving in spaces where they will most likely be the only BIPOC present
- Part time
- 10 – 12 hours per month
- November 2020 to May 2021
- Paid – $300 / month
- Actively communicate with mentees each month and keep each member of the cohort engaged.
- Meet individually with each mentee for at least 30 minutes per month to ensure the mentee is connecting with mentors.
- Ensure mentees are getting access to resources to help them succeed.
- Facilitate bi-weekly cohort meetings with all members of the cohort to discuss challenges, create comradery, and share knowledge and experiences.
- Coordinate guest mentors as needed for bi-weekly meetings.
- Be creative and helpful as you are working to help mentees grow throughout the year.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent professional experience.
- Exceptional people skills. Comfortable leading group discussions with a diverse group of people.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- 3+ years experience in a professional career
- Experience in leadership roles whether professional or personal
- Experience as a mentor is a plus